Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: old curly 8mm film

  1. #1
    Inactive Member skippy135's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I have family 8mm colorfilm from the late 30's to late 40'S. On the 200' reels the outer portions are curling, bunched and not flexible ( dry? ) Can this be saved by rewashing?, lubing? The film was loose on the reels, should it have held with a clasp or clamping device?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Whatever you do, DON'T "tighten" the film by pulling on the loose part until the looseness disappears!

    That's called "synching" (not syncing) the film, and it's bad, it will put numerous scratches on your film.

    If the curling seems opposite to the way the film is wound, it could mean the film was left tails out on the reel.

    I just got a mailing from Film Technology
    Company, Inc.

    (323) 464-3456....or try www.filmtech.com for more info.

    Apparently, they do film salvage work.

    They're in Hollywood, CA.

    There are others who do film rejuvenation....(time to start a new thread with that as the topic).

    I just finished editing a beautiful regular 8mm film from the early 40's that was transferred to BetaCam SP.

    It was transferred by Film and Video Transfers in Northridge Ca.

    (818) 885-6501

    Great Colors.

    I assume Yale and Pro-8mm also transfer Regular-8.

    Alex







    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited April 11, 2001).]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Moldy_Rutabaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2001
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I've had similar experiences with early 80s film, which is not 30s film, but I'm here in Alberta, which is very dry. Climate may be a factor with your film.
    My film was not in anywhere near so bad condition, but I humidified the heck out of the room with a teakettle for a few days and then gently cleaned and lubricated the film. This may possibly help. If not, obtain help as the film will crack in the projector and will lack focus if you attempt to view it. Just my 2c.

    ------------------
    Ken in Alberta

  4. #4
    Inactive Member skippy135's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Alex,
    The films were viewable in 1987 when a relative had some of them trsnsfered to video. The film was not tightened or rewound incorrectly. There is a strong ammonia-like odor when the tins are opened, I suspect chemical deterriation. Other films from the 60's & 70's, in the same box with the 30's & 40's films, are fine. I'll check the website you mentioned. Any other suggestions on saving the orginals are welcomed.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •